Wednesday, August 3, 2011

About French-class names

This is related to French classes or names.  In French class, you learn to make brioche, like the cupcake on the right with the swirly thing. 

Having taken numerous French classes where I was not required to change my name, this is a new one for me.   Apparently, Lisette (of Lisette patterns for Simplicity) is Liesl’s French-class name.  Of course, this isn’t anything new.  I’ve heard of other French teachers having students draw a new, more French name from a hat to replace theirs for a school-period a day.

            I think it’s a bad idea.


 It’s interesting, yes, and it might make some less-enthusiastic students a little excited to enter a classroom, look at the blackboard, and think, I’m a new person here.  At the same time, it’s ridiculously impractical.  By giving students French names to replace their diverse, sometimes awkward names, teachers are denying said students the opportunity to learn to pronounce foreign words in their new language.  Just as it’s a little weird to learn to say soufflé, garage, and couture, it might be a little strange to announce “Je suis Lisel” or “Bonjour, je m’appelle Kay,” but it’s surely necessary.  Imagine poor students’ despair when they land in France or Canada or some other French-speaking area and know how to ask the time, where the bathroom is and even start a pleasant conversation, but when the time comes for introductions, they are left blank. 

            Do I say my own name?  My “French-class name?”  How do I even say my name?

            I suppose I can understand the cultural aspect of it, at least a little.  It is more convenient to learn with smooth, easy words, including names that might not belong to the students.  It immerses you more in the culture.  Yes, I do think that it would be better to give students names at least related to theirs – Lisette to Liesl instead of, say, Felix to Bradley, as I have heard.  Still, it is important to learn the odd pronunciation of one’s own name, so at least a day or two in a French class should definitely be devoted to the question of English-in-French (or whatever language).

            I’m still on the fence about the whole concept, though.  On one hand, it’s helpful to immerse students in the culture, on the other hand, they don’t really change by stepping into a French classroom, as giving them a new name might suggest. 

            I think the ultimate French-class name would have to belong to Albert, also known as Norbert, also known as Carlo, also known as Carlos, also known as Norbert, also known as Petro, and something else in Russian and Chinese and Portuguese.  (in Muzzy, that language class for children that really works for everyone as well, a little adorable character named Norman in the English version changes names in the varying versions depending on his perceived culture).

No comments:

Post a Comment