Monday, September 19, 2011

Simplicity SewSimple Patterns: Kay's Take

I already told you in this post that I hate Simplicity SewSimple patterns.  I decided to elaborate instead of taking a picture of my brand new skirt made from Simplicity 2314.

One thing I definitely hate is that far too many of these patterns are made in very clearly printed fabric.  I'm almost certain they do that to distract us from the line drawings, much like Burda frequently covers up and distorts their patterns in their magazines. 

The line drawings of many of these patterns are okay, they just make the instructions on said patterns difficult to follow. 

Further, there is very little about these patterns that is particularly spectacular.  They're unnessesarily difficult to sew and have few beautiful or perfect little details.

I should let you know that I'm being a little whiney about these patterns.  After all, when I began 1970 I could barely sew a straight seam, and I tried to make it out of easy-to-fray fabric.  I didn't exactly have all the stars aligned for the skirt to come out too well.

Of course, I've also considered that I hated the pleating of it and I hated the sewing on of the awful elastic waistband, which I absolutely despised.  However, there are too many patterns for dogs and little kids, and an overabundance of elastic waists and aprons. 

Bottom Line:  I can't help not liking SewSimple patterns, but I would like to wish Simplicity good luck with future seasons.  I hope they create many gorgeous patterns that are simple, classic, and relatively easy to sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment