Saturday, March 3, 2012

College: Moodle is overrated

So, I'm back.  Apparently I got a lot of traffic on leap day; weird.  This is not funny.  Sorry, people.

I am busy.  I am in college.  I would not be so busy if teachers went back to a very seventies way of doing things and posted all of their assignments at once, on one syllabus, gave it to you at the beginning of the class, and said "here, go do this stuff and give it to me.  Then I grade you.  Then you get on with your lives."  I like that better than the current model for two main reasons.

  1. You can get a jump on things.  If you happen to go on vacation, you can do all your homework, give it to a friend who did theirs and therefore won't steal yours, have them turn it in for you, and enjoy wherever you go.
  2. You don't have weird deadlines.
Seriously.  For those of you who went to college in the seventies, there is now this thing called Moodle.  Teachers post your assignments on Moodle.  You turn your assignments in electronically on Moodle.  The teacher grades them on Moodle.

It saves paper.  We will kill instead the aspirin trees because this is a headache inducing system.  Why?  There are two reasons.

  1. Teachers no longer have to think very far ahead.  "They'll do something on To Kill a Mockingbird in week seven."  Put in syllabus in the summer.  Teacher has six months to think of questions.  This is not fair to students or to teachers.  I once had a science teacher who said the very memorable line that "Teachers are as lazy as you are.  If they took the time to write it on the board, it is probably important."  I believe this, too.  However, these teachers are too lazy to write the thing on the damn board.  Still, they expect their students to turn things in on time.  Not fair.
  2. Teachers can access students unfairly.  For example, I have an assignment due this Sunday.  Oh wait, tomorrow.  This is terribly unfair.  I have no idea what the assignment is.  And  it's due tommorrow, on a Sunday, a day which college is all but closed.  I'm taking a once-a-week class that would normally meet two days a week, so for all fairness, I'm fine with things being due two days a week, but accessing me on days where there shouldn't be a class?  For assignments posted less than forty-eight hours in advance?  Not cool, Tony, not cool.  (Obscure reference.  If you get it, you get a lolipop.  Not a school reference.)
There's my rant.  Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment