Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Ambiguity of a Phrase

Sound good when you get up in front of one of these: take diction.
Source: Salvadore Vuono/freedigitalphotos.net
I always hate the phrase "yourear."  You can never tell if people are saying "your ear" or "your rear."  This great ambiguity of phrasing makes it very difficult to tell what someone is saying.  I wonder how many bets have been lost by yourear.

This is why I think everyone should take diction for one year in eighth or tenth grade.  It could be a once-a-week lesson of thirty minutes, which would still equal fifteen or twenty hours of tutoring.  I certainly think it would be worth the nesesary pulling out of class.  In fact, I think it would enhance in-class performance, as well as college performance and interpersonal skills.  I'm not suggesting that we try to get rid of our own genuine national or regional dialect or try to rid ourselves of accents.  Accents can be incredibly beautiful; I love accents.  What I don't like is mumbling.  We have to get rid of the mumbling.

Or else our writing will have to morph to something along the lines of gdeouhdfkhvldfh to help estimate the pronunciation of our real life speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment